How to lay artificial grass
Have you ever wanted a lovely, manicured lawn but not got the time for all the upkeep of mowing and weeding, read on to find out how you can have you own amazing low-maintenance artificial lawn. Worried about how to lay artificial grass?
Check out our step-by-step guide below from Speedy Services the UK's leading tool hire company with helpful tips on how to get you started with your DIY projects with our artificial grass installation guide. Transform your garden today and be the envy of all your neighbours, laying artificial grass has never been easier with our how to lay artificial grass guide
What tools do I need to lay artificial grass?
- Excavator machine (optional)
- Compactor (wacker plate)
- Turf cutter
- Leaf blower (optional)
- Spirit level
- Tape measure
- A sharp knife
- Skip (optional)
What materials do I need to install artificial grass?
- Kiln sand
- Artificial grass
- Weed membrane
- Adhesive joining tape
- Galvanised steel nails
What PPE safety equipment do I need to install artificial grass?
- Safety goggles
- Ear defenders (required for compactor / wacker plate)
- Knee pads and gloves
- Steel toe-capped work boots
How do I prepare for artificial grass installation?
To ensure you get the best finish possible for your DIY project, please read our check list below for planning, ground preparation, and safety precautions to be carried out before laying artificial grass.
1. Plan and measure the area whether you’re replacing existing grass or laying a new lawn to calculate the right amount of material you need to purchase, and equipment hire costs.
2. Check your garden has adequate draining.
3. Prepare the ground for artificial grass installation (Follow Steps 1 & 2 below).
4. Check that all access points to your garden are clear of obstruction (gate, back door).
5. Keep materials and sharp tools out of children’s reach.
6. Wear correct safety PPE equipment as listed above.
How to install artificial grass
Step 1: Clear the area
- Make sure that all cables and water pipes are below the digging depth.
- Remove existing turf to a depth of 50mm, hire a turf cutter or use a spade and remove any large stones or bricks to prevent the artificial grass from looking lumpy.
- To help make digging work a breeze why not hire an excavator machine.
- Hire a skip to dispose of large amounts of garden waste.
Step 2: Lay the base
- Create a sub-base covering the whole area: if you use gravel the depth should be 50mm if you use sand the depth should not exceed 20mm.
- Compact the sub-base using a flat piece of timber for a smooth even surface, or why not hire a compactor (wacker plate) to make sure you can get the job done quickly.
Step 3: Apply weed membrane
- To prevent weeds from invading your new lawn it is essential to lay a porous weed membrane on top of the compacted sub-base.
- Secure the membrane with galvanised steel nails round the perimeter every 0.75m, the membrane will also allow for water drainage.
- Trim off any waste from around the edges with a sharp knife, if any joining is needed, overlap the edges, and stick them firmly together with adhesive joining tape.
Step 4: Laying artificial grass
- Start to carefully unroll the artificial grass over the new lawn area on top of the weed membrane you have just applied.
- To give you the best look from your windows run the pile direction towards your house, once you have finished laying all the grass trim off any excess with a sharp knife.
Step 5: Add the finishing touches to your new artificial lawn
To ensure a natural-looking finish to your new artificial lawn apply a kiln sand dressing to the artificial turf on the same day as the lawn installation we recommend carrying this out on a dry day. This can be done using a stiff broom, as a guide use 6-8kg of sand per square metre of product, doing this will help to make the artificial grass look more natural.
Congratulations! you have now finished laying your new artificial lawn, happy relaxing!
Speedy Tip! To keep your new artificial lawn in top condition we recommend using a leaf blower to remove leaves and dirt quickly.