Hand arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) is the painful and debilitating condition that can seriously affect your working and social life.
Symptoms are progressive and not reversible:
- Pins and needles - irritating and uncomfortable.
- Loss of touch - if you can’t feel it how do you know if it is hot or cold?
- Severe pain and numbness - when fingers go white in the cold and then red on recovery.
- Reduced grip strength - reduces your ability to use equipment and work safely.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - constant pain in hand and wrist making sleeping difficult.
- Stops you from doing the simplest things: turning pages of a paper, picking up small items, fastening buttons, tying shoe laces.
- Construction accounts for 5% of employees in the UK but also 31% of fatal accidents.
- 5 million workers are exposed to risks from Hand Arm Vibration (HAV).
- 1.7 million workers are exposed to vibrations above a potentially dangerous level.
- 300,000 workers already suffer from HAV, 288,000 of these have Vibration White Finger (VWF).
- 2 million workers are at serious risk of developing HAVS.