5 Tips for Post-Christmas Cleaning
Christmas is over for another year. The baubles are back in their box, you’ve eaten enough turkey to last a lifetime and the family has all (finally) left.
When it is all over and done with, we are usually all quite excited to get the house back to normal. You haven’t been able to give everywhere a proper vacuum and dust in a few weeks, so need everything to feel fresh again.
Here are some tips on what to do in your post-festive period deep clean.
- Clean the carpets
From all the dust off the Christmas decorations settling, to the guests not abiding by the ‘no shoes in the house’ rule and the dog getting muddy on the Boxing Day walk, your carpets have likely taken a bit of a battering over the holidays.
Carpets can hold an awful lot of dirt, most of which isn’t even visible to the naked eye. Vacuuming daily is always recommended, hiring a carpet cleaner is an excellent way to give your carpets that professional deep clean to get them looking new again.
- Empty and clean the fridge
The leftovers have either been polished off or are way past their best by now. If you still have some wrapped up in foil lurking at the back of a fridge, bring it out and throw it away.
The same applies to any dips and sauces such as cranberry sauce which won’t be used again. If you had a lot of leftovers, it probably meant finding what space you could for them too, which means everyday things aren’t living where they should anymore.
Completely empty your fridge, clean the shelves with warm water and some dish soap and then organise everything properly once it is all dried.
- Sort out your storage
If you did gift swapping this year, you may have clothes, cookware, or children’s toys to find a place for. If you’re anything like us, everything sits in a pile in the living room until the new year by the tub of almost-empty Celebrations.
But when doing your big post-holidays clean, the time comes to find them a new home. Whatever you received, you’ll probably have to find some space for it, so clear out the cupboards and get rid of anything you no longer need or want.
Have a ‘sort before you stash’ mentality. If you really want to limit what you own, get rid of one thing for every new thing you own.
- SPEEDY TOP TIP: If items are still in really good condition, why not sell them using an online marketplace for some post-Christmas money? Or it could help someone just starting out on their own through a charity donation
- Clear the loft
Think back a few weeks to when you went up into the loft to find the Christmas decorations. How easy was it, on a scale of 1-10?
If you’re answering anything below an 8, you probably need to clear out your loft space. From kid's toys which you’re holding on to for sentimental reasons, to old CD collections and goodness knows what else, if it lives in the loft without ever being touched, you probably don’t need it anymore.
Some stuff may be able to be sold on, but if not, hiring a skip to get rid of it all will likely be your best bet. Get in touch with us here at Speedy to see how we can help; we have a range of skips available for hire, that can accept general waste.
- Think about the year ahead
Now the tinsel is down and you’re back to normal décor, what DIY jobs do you want to get done this year? Maybe you want to refresh your kitchen, update your bathroom, or simply hire a paint sprayer to paint your walls.
We have loads of tips and inspiration in our news and blogs section, whatever you want to get done. Maybe you want to get the garden sorted out, or panel your walls?
Whatever your goals are, try to:
- Sort out a timeframe. Is it something you can set aside a weekend for, or do you need to do a bit each night?
- Think about when it will need to be done. Start your gardening in spring when it is a bit warmer and lighter, but get it done before summer so you can enjoy it!
- Consider what you can do yourself and what you need to get the professionals in for. We think most DIY tasks can be done with the help of our Speedy how-to guides and videos, but when it comes to gas, water, and electricity, get someone in who is qualified and insured.
- Research the tools you need to hire from Speedy to get the job done. From a drill to a wall chaser or cut-off saw, hiring tools is cheaper and will mean you don’t have to store them somewhere. Work out when you’re going to do jobs and then hire in preparation
READY FOR MORE TIPS?
Whether it is how to use your hired products or how to tackle your next DIY job, there are plenty more tips and how-to guides on our Skills and Projects page.
For more tips subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Find ideas on Instagram
- September 2023 (8)
- August 2023 (20)
- July 2023 (21)
- June 2023 (17)
- May 2023 (17)
- April 2023 (17)
- March 2023 (15)
- February 2023 (17)
- January 2023 (10)
- December 2022 (8)
- November 2022 (19)
- October 2022 (26)
- September 2022 (17)
- August 2022 (14)
- July 2022 (15)
- June 2022 (18)
- May 2022 (15)
- April 2022 (10)
- March 2022 (5)
- February 2022 (8)
- January 2022 (2)
- December 2021 (8)
- November 2021 (11)
- October 2021 (1)
- September 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (3)
- July 2021 (3)
- June 2021 (4)
- May 2021 (1)
- April 2021 (1)
- March 2021 (2)
- February 2021 (1)
- January 2021 (2)